The original plan was to take a leasurely drive from our Hotel in Cody Wyoming the day after Yellowstone, and just drive straight to the hotel in South Dakota where the next day we would continue on our sightseeing...
But that would be too easy- We realized Devils Tower was just a short detour from the route we were driving, so we took the detour! :)
This is a tower of stone that is just on it's own... no mountains nearby for it to have formed as part of.
The view from the loop trail at the base of it was neat, and we could watch the climbers going up the side of it while we walked around the base.
I'm so glad we stopped and made the detour to add this to our list of sights. It really is an amazing little piece of nature.
The next day we went searching for gold! We went to a mining museum where we panned for gold, and learned how they did tunnel mining for a hundred plus years.
After that we headed to Wind Cave. It is one of the worlds longest caves and is famous for it's boxwork. About 90% of the known boxwork in the world has been found in this cave. I had never really been to a cave until three years ago and since then I've found I can't get enough of them! I love going on cave tours and wish I could capture the beauty with a photo- I just don't have the photography skills to get great photo's down there yet! :)
But that would be too easy- We realized Devils Tower was just a short detour from the route we were driving, so we took the detour! :)
This is a tower of stone that is just on it's own... no mountains nearby for it to have formed as part of.
The view from the loop trail at the base of it was neat, and we could watch the climbers going up the side of it while we walked around the base.
I'm so glad we stopped and made the detour to add this to our list of sights. It really is an amazing little piece of nature.
The next day we went searching for gold! We went to a mining museum where we panned for gold, and learned how they did tunnel mining for a hundred plus years.
After that we headed to Wind Cave. It is one of the worlds longest caves and is famous for it's boxwork. About 90% of the known boxwork in the world has been found in this cave. I had never really been to a cave until three years ago and since then I've found I can't get enough of them! I love going on cave tours and wish I could capture the beauty with a photo- I just don't have the photography skills to get great photo's down there yet! :)
Comments